19 September 2010

Heidi Melton

I think I had not heard Heidi Melton sing before last night’s recital at Old First Church, but I sure have heard her now, and count myself among her undoubtedly growing number of fans. What a voice! Strength and clarity without apparent effort and without sacrificing beauty, and beauty without sacrificing meaning; you could just float along, borne by the billowing waves of her voice, but you’re pulled into the storm and shadow and sun succeeding each other in rapid measure.

She looked very nice, with a white lily streaked with pink in her blonde hair, and a black dress in a Grecian style. She and her accompanist, John Parr, had a wonderful mixture of the familiar and the less familiar: first Samuel Barber’s Three Songs, Op. 45 (the texts are all translations into English from other languages) followed by Wagner's Wesendonck lieder; then, after an intermission, Berg’s intimate and voluptuous Seven Early Songs – they’ve been done several times around here in the past few years, but I always seemed to miss those performances, and besides, you can never have too much Berg, especially in a performance like this one – and then four Strauss lieder. My one quibble about the whole evening is that I felt that the third Strauss number, Morgen, was taken at too slow a pace; it must be difficult not to roll around in its beautiful fields, but it lost too much dramatic tension for me. There were two encores, Weill’s piquant ballad, My Ship, and my favorite Strauss lied, Zueignung.

The audience was surprisingly sparse, given Melton’s growing reputation, but that did give a nicely intimate air to the recital. Old First Church isn’t that far off the beaten track (Sacramento and Van Ness) and tickets were only $17, which is an amazing bargain, so I don’t know quite what the problem was, though I have to admit that if I hadn’t already been in San Francisco but had to come in from the East Bay, I might not have bothered, which would have been my loss. Knowing what I know now, I’d consider it well worth the time getting there.

Melton spoke briefly and charmingly before each set; she seems to have the ability that Christine Brewer and Deborah Voigt have of speaking in a bright and funny manner and then instantly tapping into whatever somber or profound (or, in this evening’s case, let’s just say Germanic) mood the song requires, and bringing the audience with her through the switch, which doesn't always happen. She mentioned that she had performed the Wesendonck lieder several times before, but that the intervening year of experiences had changed and deepened her interpretation of words and music. She also spoke about much she loved the Berg set, and indeed her eyes were wet as she sang them.

Afterwards she stayed to greet and talk with what seemed like every member of the audience, which was very gracious of her since she had mentioned it was her birthday and she probably had other places to be. She told me that her mother has her name on Google Alert and sends her everything, even though sometimes they’re things she’d rather not read. So: Hi, Mrs Melton! Go ahead and send this, because your daughter is an amazing singer!

13 comments:

Lisa Hirsch said...

Did you see Iphigenie en Tauride, in which she was the voice of Diana, or Appomattox, in which she was Mrs. Lincoln? I guess you skipped Rosenkavalier and the Verdi Requiem last year....

Patrick J. Vaz said...

I did hear both the Gluck and the Glass, so I guess I have heard her before -- the recital really clinched it for me, though. I now won't forget I've heard her. Those are both pretty small roles, though, so that's my excuse. I missed the Verdi Requiem because I had a conflict (I think I was at Mark Morris that night). They did Rosenkavalier last year? Wasn't it the year before? What did she sing?

Patrick J. Vaz said...

Appomattox! I even mention her:

http://reverberatehills.blogspot.com/2007/10/old-times-there-are-not-forgotten.html

So I guess the cumulative good impression reached its apotheosis (which you know I'm big on) Saturday night.

Patrick J. Vaz said...

The last Rosenkavalier here was the '06-07 season, and she's not listed in the cast:

http://archive.sfopera.com/qry3webcastlist.asp?x_OperaID=1824&z_OperaID=%3D%2C%2C

Patrick J. Vaz said...

Unless you search under her name! There she is, as Marianne:

http://archive.sfopera.com/qry3webcastlist.asp?psearch=heidi+melton&Submit=GO&psearchtype=&pageno=&dpr=&pageno=

Was she in every performance?

Patrick J. Vaz said...

OK, she is there under Rosenkavalier -- I didn't realize there was a second page to the cast list. I'm going to stop commenting now, and try to gather my obviously scattered thoughts. . .

Patrick J. Vaz said...

Here I am again -- you know, though I definitely have my favorite singers, it's always been true that I look first at the composer and the work, and though I appreciate the voices as part of the work, I don't always keep track of the names, particularly on recordings -- I think that makes me different from a lot of opera fans. I'm not saying it's better or worse (though sometimes I end up slightly embarrassing myself), but it is the way I approach things.

Lisa Hirsch said...

Lol, I just have a freakish memory!

Patrick J. Vaz said...

haha -- the thing is, I do too! Usually.

Shushu said...

I really wanted to see a comment from Mrs. Melton . . .

Patrick J. Vaz said...

Instead of me tripping all over myself? Well, it would be more entertaining. I'm sure she's delightful!

Ms. Baker said...

This is the concert my phone call nearly kept you from. I am so glad that you were able to go and have such an enjoyable evening.

I'm with Shana. I'm waiting on Mrs. Melton, too.

And Lisa, Patrick and my daughter Marin have the two most freakishly accurate memories ever. I'm not sure that I envy them, but I certainly appreciate having my own personal historians, imbds, usage dictionaries, and encyclopedias.

Patrick J. Vaz said...

Yes, I'm very glad I went, but if I'd know how short the walk was, and that they didn't open their doors until 7:30, I would have stayed on the phone longer with you. The best of both worlds!

I did get the impression that perhaps Mrs Melton doesn't read every word of what she sends, so I'm not feeling snubbed.