01 August 2007

Is there something I don't know?

Let me be more specific, since there’s quite a lot I don’t know: this is about baseball caps. Not the already-old switch in the way those crazy kids rebelliously disrespect the entire world (visors to the side now, instead of caps worn backwards - who can keep up!), or the much odder tendency to leave the big black-and-gold size stickers on the bill of fitted caps instead of peeling them right off. No, this is about the classic Detroit Tigers cap, which is navy blue with an upper-case Gothic D woven in white. I’ve noticed a lot of these around lately, much more than usual for the Bay Area. Then the August Opera News arrives, and there’s a big picture of Andreas Scholl, photographed in Switzerland, which I had never thought of as a hotbed of baseball fever, and he’s wearing a Detroit Tigers cap. So is this some sort of fashion statement or gang sign now, like a NY Yankees cap (which just figures)? Is Scholl flashing gang signs in the mezzo/countertenor turf war mentioned elsewhere in the issue? More to the point, if I happen to grab my Tigers cap for a trip to the store (no, I’m not balding, I just need to protect my eyes from the sun) is some angry mezzo going to hurt me bad? Because believe me, I do not want to mess with a mezzo.

No comments: