16 June 2007

got my Irish up

I used to be pretty thrilled in a low-key, understated way about the Irish side of my background until PBS disillusioned me. They showed a documentary on the Irish and I realized that I had been thrilled about the Anglo-Irish, who were the overlords from whom my actual ancestors had to flee, leaving behind their brutish sod cottages and mealy potatoes for the crowded tenements and filth of America. (That’s not why I stopped supporting PBS, though. That was when they started ignoring opera and theater in favor of nostalgic band reunions for aging wealthy hippies. If PBS doesn’t do it, who will? Well, VH-1 for starters. Who needs that?) My disillusionment was not really a watershed event, given my tendency to avoid any group to which I might reasonably belong. I’ve always hated St. Patrick’s day, from the silly "pinches if you're not wearing green" in grammar school to the adult form, which is vomiting up cheap green beer. I knew a guy in Boston who did a hilarious impression of South Boston residents the rest of the year (stereotypical Southie accents) versus St. Paddy’s Day (out come the faith and begorrah brogues). I imagine my patron saint himself was a fairly fierce and driven man, not some boozy twinkler dancing with the leprechauns, whom he probably would have considered imps of the Devil if he thought about them at all. I tend to avoid Irish plays too (again, not Anglo-Irish, so the boycott doesn't include Wilde, Shaw, or Beckett), having a fairly low tolerance for sorrowing spinsters and drunken dreamers and The Troubles, so I had completely missed out on Martin McDonagh’s work until I was urged to see The Pillowman at Berkeley Rep a few months ago. It’s pretty fantastic, in every sense, and the outstanding production helped make up for the evening I wasted at To the Lighthouse. The playbill articles, in what may have been either canny promotion or Irish self-mythologizing, acted as if his works were sui generis, whereas I felt that certain scenes picked up exactly where Pinter’s The Birthday Party (which I had seen the week before) left off; there are trace elements of Pinter, Mamet, and Orton, not to mention the grotesqueries of the Jacobeans, who can never resist making adulterous liaisons incestuous as well, and scorn murder by knifing when poisoned lipstick might do. Anyway, McDonagh is now on the list of Irish writers with whom I feel affinity. Once in Boston I saw an animation festival that featured a short based on one of Edna O’Brien’s stories. I don't remember the exact plot, except that I assume it had an unhappy ending, since that’s the sort of thing that gets my attention, but what really got me was the realization that if that story had been by a Jewish author I would have bought the book on the way home from the theater. I’m sure that if I were an actual Jew instead of just an honorary one my interests would be reversed. Irish and Jewish brings us to Leopold Bloom – I’d like to wish a very happy (is that the right word?) Bloomsday to all of my mountain flowers out there. And here’s a fun website to check out: http://www.james-joyce-music.com/. Since I re-read Ulysses just a few years ago, I think I will start re-reading Portrait of the Artist today. I last read it when I was thirteen, and I suspect I missed a few subtleties.

6 comments:

Civic Center said...

Ah, so you're an Irish witch. Absolutely loved the phrase "the Jacobeans, who can never resist making adulterous liaisons incestuous as well, and scorn murder by knifing when poisoned lipstick might do."

Got a little confused by your assertion that you would have bought an Edna O'Brien book if she had been Jewish, but in a piece that sprays everyone from PBS to South Boston Irish-Americans, that's not a criticism.

Patrick J. Vaz said...

Hey Mike,
Well, with a first name like Patrick, I sort of figured everyone knew I was part Irish, though in fact just about everyone in America is part Irish. Thanks for the nod on the Jacobeans -- I'm already excited ACT is doing 'Tis Pity She's a Whore next year.
The thing about the Edna O'Brien story is that if I had seen the same short film and it had been based on a story by, for example, IB Singer, Ozick, Aleichem, Asch, etc., I would have bought the book, because I love Jewish writers in a way that I don't really love most Irish (as opposed to Anglo-Irish) writers. Not being dragooned into the Tribe is probably part of the appeal.
Speaking of spraying, you should disable anonymous comments on your blog -- I thought your entry on the homeless woman was fair and did a good job evoking the complicated reactions the many street people in SF evoke among the regular denizens. A little WTF? at the more insane antics is a more thoughtful reaction than blank, generic pity. So tell "anonymous" to go fuck him-/herself. Cheers!

Civic Center said...

Dear Patrick: Thanks for coming to my defense. Still, I found my anonymous ranter sort of fascinating. He/she obviously had a very personal reaction to the whole idea of being caught looking insane in public, and also was very disturbed by the whole sadistic stalking aspect of photography a la "The Eyes of Laura Mars." I can sort of relate to both concerns. On the other hand, the whole subject also made "anonymous" insane just writing about it.

At least it was sincere. The only time I've erased something from my comments other than spam was a series of baiting posts from some right-wing troll from the Episcopalian Civil War. I'd written about the San Francisco bishop who was arrested in front of the Federal building, and walked straight into a worldwide conflagration without even knowing it.

By the way, I'm not a big fan of 20th century Jewish fiction writers, finding most of them wildly overrated, so thanks for clarifying. I'm glad we don't share the same views on everything after all. I'm doing standing room at "Iphigenie" on Wednesday. Are you going by any chance?

Patrick J. Vaz said...

Actually, I will be at Iphigenie on Wednesday -- in a burst of Gluckness, I bought an extra ticket (my usual subscription is G, which is mostly Fridays). I'm in B107 in the orchestra.
IB Singer is a great favorite of mine, so he's the one I would choose to defend, if I had to.
The thing about the anonymous commenter is that he/she went beyond raising some legitimate concerns or issues (concerns you acknowledged) and went off into personal attacks and rage at any sort of disagreement. Anonymity is for pussies. If you won't stand by what you say, maybe you shouldn't be saying it, or saying it in just that way.

Civic Center said...

IB Singer, along with Kafka, are two you wouldn't even begin to have to defend from merciless me.

I'll be standing in the orchestra section, beard, bald, early 50s gringo. I hope not to be late because I'm going to a "Tannhauser" supernumerary audition at 6PM, where they are looking for "meaty men to carry animal carcasses" this fall. Please introduce yourself as it would be wonderful to have a face to attach to your witty written voice.

Patrick J. Vaz said...

Hey Mike, I did see the Jack-Nicholson-in-Chinatown photo of yourself you posted in Civic Center, so I have a rough idea what to look for, though I hope the bandage is off now and you're feeling better.