02 November 2009

pursued as by the avenging furies

Amazon.com, which either does not realize that I am apparently the only person in the western world who didn’t think August: Osage County was the greatest thing since Heartbreak House or simply wants to torment me, like poking a wounded animal with a stick to watch its eyes bug out, keeps insisting that I should buy a copy of the play, because of its similarities to the following items I have already purchased: Mary Zimmerman’s Metamorphoses (uh, no), Six Plays by Bulgakov as well as his life of Moliere (no and no), the Complete Plays of Chekhov (emphatically not), and the Mark Morris production of Purcell’s Dido and Aeneas (WTF? Now they're just shooting in the dark).

3 comments:

John Marcher said...

Patrick,

You ARE the only person in the western world who did not like this fucking play!

Patrick J. Vaz said...

No offense, but I've read several very positive reviews and have come away from each of them unclear why the writer liked the play so much. There are lots of sweeping generalizations and broad reactions that haven't really caused me to rethink my reaction. I cited very specific situations, characters, themes, and even lines to explain the faults I saw.

John Marcher said...

No offense taken of course- my use of profanity is just a reference to your very memorable post on the play.