10 January 2011

Composer Portraits and Self-Portraits

Some recent and noteworthy additions to the concert calendar:

On Monday March 14 at Hertz Hall in Berkeley, Cal Performances presents a Composer Portrait of Pierre Boulez, featuring violinist Graeme Jennings and the Eco Ensemble performing Anthèmes 2 and Derive 2. When this concert was announced as a late addition to the schedule a few weeks ago, I called as soon as I could, and was told that mine was the first ticket sold. Good for me!

And San Francisco Performances added two concerts that feature not only the music of living composers, but the composers themselves:

On Saturday, April 30, at 3:00 in the Novellus Theater at the Yerba Buena Center, Philip Glass will play his Etudes and other works for solo piano (he's in town for a revival of Dance, his 1979 collaboration with Lucinda Childs and Sol LeWitt).

And on Sunday, May 15, at the San Francisco Conservatory of Music Concert Hall, Magnus Lindberg on piano will be joined by violinist Jennifer Koh and cellist Anssi Karttunen in music by Stravinsky and Lindberg himself.

6 comments:

John Marcher said...

3 non haiku-posts in as many days? Stop it dude, you're freaking me out!

Patrick J. Vaz said...

OK, I'll stop.

John Marcher said...

Thank you. Please resume your regularly scheduled programming.

Patrick J. Vaz said...

That's your second wish. You have one more. Use it wisely!

Civic Center said...

You were the first to buy a ticket to a Pierre Boulez chamber music concert? Good for you, indeed. Personally, I'm just glad I still have a fatwa on Cal Performance.

Patrick J. Vaz said...

I'm sure Pierre is most grateful to me.

Not only am I going to the Boulez concert, but the night before I'll also be in Berkeley, hearing Jonas Kauffman in recital, and I'm thinking about going to the concert that afternoon of Les Percussions de Strasbourg (more new music). So I'm afraid I will have gone over to the other side as far as your fatwa is concerned.