31 May 2013

a preview of the preview

I seem to be falling behind at a faster pace than usual these days, so though I'm putting together my usual monthly preview for June, I thought I'd mention some performances of interest that are coming right up:

On Tuesday, 4 June, at 8:00 in the concert hall of the San Francisco Conservatory of Music, Curious Flights presents the second concert of its inaugural season. This one celebrates the centenary of Benjamin Britten with some of his rarer chamber music pieces, including the west coast premiere of  a reconstructed concerto for clarinet. I went to their first concert and enjoyed it tremendously. Tickets and more information are available here.

On Friday, 7 June, at 7:00, again at the San Francisco Conservatory of Music, Opera Parallele presents a workshop performance of Gesualdo, Prince of Madness, a new opera based on the lurid true-life story of, no surprise, Gesualdo, with music by Dante De Silva and libretto by Mitchell Morris. As usual Nicole Paiement conducts and Brian Staufenbiel is in charge of the production. The idea here is to make the opera sort of a living graphic novel. The workshop is free but the venue is small so tickets are limited and on a first-come, first-served basis (pre-reserved seating is available for donors). More information here.

And I assume I'll have my regular preview up by mid-month, but it doesn't hurt to remind everyone that from 12 - 15 June Cal Performances presents Ojai North, guided this year by Mark Morris – full information on the awesomeness here.

No comments: