05 January 2007

Just in time for Little Christmas

Continuing with the at-work file purge, here is my grandmother's cranberry chutney recipe. (Perhaps I should point out this isn't work related; I just had it on-line because I sent it to someone.) This stuff is great! (Though I should warn you that once, and it may have been because I used raw instead of toasted walnuts, I dyed my guests' teeth purple with this.) I have no idea where she got the recipe. This isn't an old family formula, but it's also not one of the things she got from the Joy of Cooking and later converted into Great-Grandmother's whatever.

Grace Sullivan's Cranberry Chutney

Simmer together for five minutes:
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1 minced clove garlic (1 clove -- ha! I put in about half a head)
1/2 cup chopped onion
4 whole cloves (I usually put in more)
1/2 Tablespoon salt
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
1/4 cup cider vinegar
dash of cayenne pepper (I use several "dashes")

Add and then simmer for 10 - 12 minutes:
4 cups fresh cranberries
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped dates
1/4 cup chopped fresh ginger

Add:
1/2 cup chopped nuts
Seal in sterilized jars or keep in the refrigerator.

Simple and very effective. You can change a few things too as long as you keep the proportions the same: sometimes I use whole walnuts, sometimes sliced almonds; I've put in candied ginger in addition to the fresh; etc.

If anyone has any idea where this came from , please let me know, as long as you're not one of the people who got it from me.

No comments: